By Michael Hughes September 27, 2010
So your house didn’t sell? Selling your home in a buyers market can be, to say the least, challenging, but here are some suggestions to help tip the scales in your favor. All the hours spent vacuuming and making beds and putting your stuff away and keeping dishes out of the sink and physically leaving your home, so complete strangers, who never make an offer, could look inside your drawers, your closets or even your medicine cabinets. Or even worse, you get your house ready to show every day and no one comes. Really!
There are only three reasons why your home won’t sell in today’s Boulder County Real Estate Market
1. Emotional Appeal, that get ‘em in the gut, what I like to call the WOW factor
2. Price (oh yeah, the money part)
3. Exposure (what we Realtors call “Marketing” 21st Century Style)
How WOW is your house? The more WOW – the wider appeal it has to a larger group of buyers. The better you’ll be at grabbing those picky buyers in their gut – where they’re vulnerable and they get all mushy and emotional. Low WOW – well just be realistic about the price. And about how your house stacks up against the competition. You have checked out your competition, haven’t you?
How have you priced your house?
- Below market value? Trying to start that feeding frenzy that’s got people more riled up than a Democrat on the Fox News Network? Hope you can handle the volume of offers and have a great Realtor to help you see the pros and cons of each offer.
- Right at market value? – good for you – now get in the groove and get ready for an offer.
- Over market value? Meaning, more than 1 red cent, over what any other similar home has sold for in the last 3 months. Similar (size, bedroom count, lot size, upgrades, condition, location….) and actually SOLD in the last 3 months – not what some other confused seller has their somewhat similar home listed for .
So – when you’re ready to get real about getting your house sold. Give me a call. I can help.
Michael Hughes. Fuller Sotheby’s International Realty-Boulder www.BolderRealEstate.com or you can reach me at 303-359-6627