1. Hire a Professional Realtor. This is no time to be navigating the rough waters of the Boulder real estate market on your own. You want someone who can help you truly price your home, bring in potential buyers, handle contracts, and market your home to the global masses. You can check to see if there have been any infractions with a Realtor by checking DORA (Department of Regulatory Agencies-Colorado/Search Licensees ).
2. Fully Disclose. Are you selling your Boulder home because it needs more work than you can handle? Are there infestation problems you’d rather not talk about? Whatever you disclose, the Realtor will have knowledge of and must disclose to a potential buyer.
3. Price it Right. Your Boulder home may sell the first week if priced properly and if you have to drop the price the result may be lower in the long run. The longer it’s on the market, the lower the price will be in the long run.
4 . Detach Emotions. This is a business transaction. Keep emotions in check.
5. Be Involved. Hire a local Boulder agent who will communicate with you at least one time per week and gives you regular feedback. Utilize that feedback to make changes or adjustments. Talk it over with your Realtor.
6. Stage your Home. Staging is a perfect way to help buyers see the true potential of each room. Buyers have to understand the purpose of each room and staging can help clarify that. Tone down your own style and pack away any clutter or extraneous decor.
7. Don’t Hang out. During showings or an open house. Resist the urge. This will make it very uncomfortable for buyers. Leave the premises.
8. The Next Step. Get ready because here comes the offer. Renting or buying what is your best option at this point? Start early!
9. Be Flexible. It’s no secret that today’s Boulder luxury and Boulder real estate market can be challenging for many sellers. Don’t compromise on your bottom line, but understand that you must be willing to negotiate.
10. Understand your Marketing Plan. Understand what you are getting for your money. What kind of internet exposure, media coverage and global presence will you get? A marketing plan should be clean, clear and will drive the buyers to your property’s website.
Michael grew up near Santa Fe and is a longtime resident of Boulder and has been with Sotheby’s International Realty since their inception in Boulder County and along the front range. If you have questions regarding this article or would like information about Boulder real estate or Boulder Luxury Real Estate check out my website. You may also call or TEXT me 303-359-6627 or e-mail Michael Hughes is a Certified Negotiation Expert and full time Realtor at Fuller Sotheby’s International Realty in Boulder, CO.